About Me

My photo
Woman of many names... Wife, mother, daughter, friend, sister, ect. But the title most treasured... Child of God. Isa. 9:6

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tangled...

Cheyenne's favorite movie (well, this week anyway).


 So she has requested a costume just like her favorite character Rapunzel to wear the Halloween. I shopped around, but I am not sure why. I never find a pre-made costume that I love (and can afford). So I made the mistake of asking the Crafty Queen (my mom) if she thought we would be capable of making one. Why do I do this??? I know she will never say "Nah, that's probably a little more work than you really want to put into a costume your child will prob only wear twice ...if your lucky!". Of course not! She says "Sure!" and then sets up a date to shop for fabric and a pattern! So today was my first Sewing 101 class and I barely passed with a "S" for SLOW!!!

So in the beginning there was the pattern. I must say I went back and forth on whether I should post this pic or not. As a self proclaimed copycat I have found it is never good to share with others what your project is "suppose to look like" because I have yet to "copy" something perfectly. But hey with this project I have a pattern and precise directions to make it look just like this...right?? :)
Then came the pinning. They call me Speedy Gonzales the Pinning Machine! Well, in my dreams they do!
About an hour later...no really an hour after we started pinning we were finally ready to start cutting!
Now some of you my think that the following was an attempt at letting Cheyenne join in the fun...sorry to disappoint but this beauty was cut by me. And yes I used scissors not a chainsaw like it may look. In my defence whatever kind of fabric this is I don't think even Martha Stewart could have cut a straight line on it! It was slicker than...well I don't really know what it is slicker than, but you think of the slickest thing you know and yes, it is slicker than that!
The instructor decided I needed a little break.
So after all that pinning and cutting in a matter of about 3hrs it was time to break out the sewing machine. However, we were so excited to actually be sewing that we for got to capture the fun with our camera. So at the end of the day here is what we have to show...it might not be much, but hey, that's why we started a month and a half early :)


1 comment:

  1. Dear "Speedy Gonzales the Pinning Machine" ,
    Just wanted you to know that your grade for today was an "A" for AWESOME! The prep work that happens before the actual sewing always takes the most time ....you can confirm this with " Crafty Queen, Sr " which would be Granny Williams, lol! Today you learned how to layout and cut your pattern (a pattern with 13 pieces and 1 of those pieces had to be cut twice out of 3 different fabrics) , thread a sewing machine, make a bobbin, fuse interfacing, and finally got to start sewing! Then...AFTER I LEFT...you continued on your own to complete the front bodice and eyelets! This pattern or the "slicker than (blank)" fabric was not meant for a beginner...but you handled it like a pro! I'm very pleased with what you accomplished today, and Cheyenne is going to be so excited to wear her Rapunzel dress and be able to say "My Mama made this for Me!" I love you so much and enjoyed our day together!

    ReplyDelete