About Me

My photo
Woman of many names... Wife, mother, daughter, friend, sister, ect. But the title most treasured... Child of God. Isa. 9:6

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Amish White Bread

Holding true to my new proclimation to start posting some of my favorite recipes...

Amish White Bread


Ingredients:


2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) ---I don't actually check the temp, just what ever feels warm to the touch :)

2/3 cup white sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast---If you buy yeast in the individual pakets 1 1/2 Tbs = 2 packets.

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup vegetable oil

6 cups bread flour

The key to making this bread is a WARM KITCHEN!!! I usually leave the oven cracked while it is pre-heating to make my kitchen a little toasty :)

Directions


1.In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam. (About 15-20 min)

2.Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat ( I use my cooking spray to oil the bowl and I spray the top and sides of the dough lightly). Cover with a damp cloth (A thin, damp dish towel works best). Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour (Mine never rises in 1hr. It is more like 1 1/2-2hrs. Again...the warmer your kitchen is the faster your dough will rise).

3.Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes (Again, mine always takes longer. Usually 1-1 1/2hrs), or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. I like my bread doughy so I usually shave about 5-7 minutes off the baking time. 

Practice makes perfect with this bread recipe. The first few times I tryed making it were a flop, but I am a bread lover so I din't give up! Please stick with it if your first loves aren't picture perfect. And please feel free to contact me if you want to discuss any problems you incounter :)
Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment